Friday, April 20, 2012

YA Indie Carnival - 4/20!

YA writers and bloggers unite each week to share their thoughts, hopes and dreams about what it's like going indie in today's publishing world.


Before I get started today, I'd just like to welcome the two new carni members - Liz Long and Ella James. It's so awesome to have you guys onboard with us.
Make sure you check out their blogs before you leave :)

Okay - 4/20. So, can I just share that I had NO idea what that meant and my husband had to Google it for me to make sure he was telling me the right thing. I had never heard the expression before! But now I know and if you can believe it, I have just been editing a scene where some background characters were indulging in a little weed. So I'm going to share part of it. Now - these are background people, my MC's never do drugs, but it doesn't stop them from attending parties where that special smell is wafting through the air...

This is an excerpt from my next release due out in July - Forbidden Territory. The best thing about this book? I had the fun of co-writing it with my best friend. Coolest thing ever!!

Mica has just had a run in with her ex and has decided to ditch the party early too annoyed with everything to even stop and tell her best friend, Lexy, she is leaving.


    I wrenched the front door open, deciding to walk home. I knew it would take me for-bloody-ever! Living in the country had some major cons; one being that there was no such thing as just popping around to someone's house. It was always a drive.
    Damn it, Lexy! This wouldn't have happened if you hadn't ditched me.
    "Hey, you need something to help you relax?"
    The voice in my ear was deep and throaty. It could have almost been sensual if I hadn't known its origin. Suzanne's boyfriend moved in front of me, a little self-rolled cigarette perched in his fingers.
    I cleared my throat and took a step back. "No, thanks."
    "You seem pretty upset. A few puffs of this and all your worries will just float away." His fingers jiggled in the air as if he were sprinkling gold dust over me.
    A lick of fear ran up my spine.
    "Um..."
    "Come on, sweetie. Come back inside with me." His hand was feather light as it brushed over my skin. My brain began to tick with escape strategies, but I couldn't see many of them working. Who knew what this psycho was capable of? The glazed sheen in his eye was freaking me out.
    He leaned in closer, his lips basically brushing my skin. "I promise, it'll make you feel better."

If you want to check out a little more of this story you can download A Taste Test, which is a free sampler packed full of YA Paranormal and Contemporary Romance excerpts. It also has a short story for you to enjoy :)

Make sure you stop by the other carni's blog and find out what their characters are getting up to.


And don't forget to check out the latest news on the YA Indie Carnival site.
1.

Laura A. H. Elliott author of Winnemucca & 13 on Halloween, Book 1 in the Teen Halloween Series
2.Bryna Butler, author Midnight Guardian series
3.Heather Self4.T. R. Graves, Author of The Warrior Series
5.Suzy Turner, author of The Raven Saga6.Cheri Schmidt, author of the Fateful Trilogy
7.Rachel Coles, author of Into The Ruins, geek mom blog8.K. C. Blake, author of Vampires Rule and Crushed
9.Patti Larsen, The Hunted series and The Hayle Coven series10.Amy Maurer Jones, Author of The Soul Quest Trilogy
11.Dani Snell's Refracted Light Reviews12.Fisher Amelie, author of The Understorey
13.M. Leighton, Blood Like Poison Series, Madly, The Reaping14.Cidney Swanson, author of Rippler
15.Gwenn Wright, author of Filter16.Melissa Pearl, Author of The Time Spirit Trilogy
17.Heather M. White, author of The Destiny Saga18.Courtney Cole Writes
19.Liz Long | Just another writer on the loose.20.Ella James

3 comments:

  1. Whoa, nice excerpt. I love the imagery the most! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jack :) I love having you visit my blog. You always leave the best comments :)

      Delete
    2. Aww, thanks, Melissa! :)

      Delete