Tuesday, October 20, 2009

The rejection

I've been sending out queries for a couple of months now. I had five query rejections before I got that magic e-mail that asked for more. Man - that was super exciting. I stopped sending queries and began the waiting game. Well the waiting game is over and I'm back at the beginning. I have to admit that I was disappointed. I didn't want to touch the keyboard for a couple of days, which surprised me. I thought I was tougher than that. It has now been five days since hearing word and I am now ready to dust myself off and try again.
Self-doubt badgered me all morning, but I have managed to ignore its ugly voice and sent out three more queries. I feel really good now. I know I will probably get more rejections, but every rejection teaches me something new. If all the agents start saying the same thing, then I've got some work to do, and I'll do it.
I want to be a great writer and the only way to become that is to put myself out there and learn whatever I can... even if it is through a rejection letter.

2 comments:

  1. I haven't reached that point yet myself, but I think you're doing the right thing. Take a break at first, when it feels harsh and overwhelming, and then pick yourself back up and move on. Keep writing. With every word you write you become a stronger writer. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete